This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Logging problems

Jul 8, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Hi

I've set up a project according to this instruction :  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee707351(VS.91).aspx  

In that project I have created a "Shell" window and a "ShellModel". Using VS2010 debugger the "ShellModel is created.

The I would like to have some logging information on the Output window in VS2010. I copied a line from your Quickstart example.

<param name="initParams" value="Jounce.LogLevel=Verbose" />

This should enable all messages to be directed to the Output window. My problem is that nothing comes to the Output Window.

Your Quickstar example shows the following.. :

'iexplore.exe' (Silverlight): Loaded 'DynamicXapCalculator', Symbols loaded.
'iexplore.exe' (Silverlight): Loaded 'Jounce.Core', Symbols loaded.
'iexplore.exe' (Silverlight): Loaded 'Jounce.Framework', Symbols loaded.
'iexplore.exe' (Silverlight): Loaded 'System.ComponentModel.Composition'
'iexplore.exe' (Silverlight): Loaded 'System.ComponentModel.Composition.Initialization'
'iexplore.exe' (Silverlight): Loaded 'MetadataViewProxies_334dbea6-a5a5-47b5-9a3c-fb775719504e'
2011-07-08 10:40:07 Verbose Jounce.Core.MefDebugger :: MEF: Found catalog: System.ComponentModel.Composition.Hosting.DeploymentCatalog
'iexplore.exe' (Silverlight): Loaded 'Anonymously Hosted DynamicMethods Assembly'
2011-07-08 10:40:07 Verbose Jounce.Core.MefDebugger :: MEF: Found part: DynamicXapCalculator.ViewModels.CalculatorViewModel
2011-07-08 10:40:07 Verbose Jounce.Core.MefDebugger ::    With import: DynamicXapCalculator.ViewModels.CalculatorViewModel.Deployment (ContractName="Jounce.Core.Application.IDeploymentService")
2011-07-08 10:40:07 Verbose Jounce.Core.MefDebugger ::    With import: DynamicXapCalculator.ViewModels.CalculatorViewModel.Commands (ContractName="System.Tuple(System.String,System.Windows.Input.ICommand)")
2011-07-08 10:40:07

My application shows.. :

'iexplore.exe' (Silverlight): Loaded 'c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Silverlight\4.0.60531.0\System.ServiceModel.Web.dll', Skipped loading symbols. Module is optimized and the debugger option 'Just My Code' is enabled.
'iexplore.exe' (Silverlight): Loaded 'c:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Silverlight\4.0.60531.0\en-US\System.debug.resources.dll'
'iexplore.exe' (Silverlight): Loaded 'Consius.ActiveWork', Symbols loaded.
'iexplore.exe' (Silverlight): Loaded 'Consius.ActiveWork.Infrastructure', Symbols loaded.
'iexplore.exe' (Silverlight): Loaded 'Jounce'
'iexplore.exe' (Silverlight): Loaded 'System.ComponentModel.Composition'
'iexplore.exe' (Silverlight): Loaded 'System.Windows.Interactivity'
'iexplore.exe' (Silverlight): Loaded 'System.ComponentModel.Composition.Initialization'
'iexplore.exe' (Silverlight): Loaded 'MetadataViewProxies_485a17b5-e443-444b-9bfb-e408c1d73058'
'iexplore.exe' (Silverlight): Loaded 'Anonymously Hosted DynamicMethods Assembly'

As far as I can tell my application starts upp correctly and no exceptions are thrown.........  but logging information is missing.

Are there som configuration parts that I am missing ??????

//regards
//lg 

Coordinator
Jul 8, 2011 at 10:50 AM

What happens when you debug? Have you set a breakpoint in the logger and stepped through, or tried registering your own logger?

Jul 8, 2011 at 12:00 PM

Hi

I have not tried to register a logger of my own.

Is it possible to single step into your DefaultLogger?? I've installed Jounce 1.0 using NuGet and I did not see any source code.

//lg

Coordinator
Jul 8, 2011 at 2:49 PM

You can download the source code from this code plex site on the "Source" tab.

Jul 8, 2011 at 7:51 PM

Hi Again

I've downloaded the source,, compiled it and linked it to my application. Suddenly the logger started to write to the Output window,, in the same manner as your Quickstarts examples.

Then I changed back to the version installed with NuGet....    same result as before,,, nothing is logged to the Output window.

Apparently there are some differences between the NuGet version and the one produced from downloaded source code.

//lg

Coordinator
Jul 8, 2011 at 8:01 PM

Sure - I know what the problem is. The release version is compiled in, well, release mode. The logger uses the debugger to output data. Therefore, the release version will not output anything because it was compiled in release and the debugger console is not available in release mode. I'll look at releasing a separate debug package for debugging.