This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

WebContext

Nov 18, 2010 at 1:23 PM

Hi

I've just started looking at integrating this framework into an existing (large) app but I am struggling to carry across a lot of existing code. How do I go about setting up the WebContext using WindowsAuthentication given that in my exitsing app this is all wired in to the app.xaml file?

Thanks

Coordinator
Nov 18, 2010 at 11:21 PM

I would use an IApplicationService - your own, and register the same was as Sterling. With that you can take init params, inspect query string, etc. Create a IWebContext and implement it and export it. Anywhere you need the context, import it. Does that make sense?

Nov 19, 2010 at 11:12 AM

Thanks for the pointers – at the moment I’m not sure how to do this but your suggestion will hopefully give me something to go on.

If you’re interested I like your Framework but there are a few things that might mean that I can’t integrate it at this time with my current app. These include

· Difficulty integrating with windows authentication (as already mentioned)

· Difficulty integrating with other existing plumbing such as boot strapper code (eg identification of user and retrieval of user AD roles), application resources and styles – for example your blog notes suggest stripping everything out of the app.xaml but doesn’t explain where to add this stuff

· Difficulty integrating with existing logging methods eg Enterprise practices approaches

Most of this things are probably pretty straightforward for the SL experts in the world but to a relative novice that’s just getting started it can be a major stumbling block.

Anyway thanks again

Yours

Stuart

Sent: 19 November 2010 00:22
To: Stuart Barrett
Subject: Re: WebContext [Jounce:235169]

I would use an IApplicationService - your own, and register the same was as Sterling. With that you can take init params, inspect query string, etc. Create a IWebContext and implement it and export it. Anywhere you need the context, import it. Does that make sense?

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Jounce@discussions.codeplex.com@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Jounce@discussions.codeplex.com@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Coordinator
Nov 29, 2010 at 12:03 PM

How's this going for you? Still running into roadblocks?

Nov 29, 2010 at 12:15 PM

Hi

Bit of a struggle to be honest with you. I’ve bounced back and forth between using your framework and instead just working directly from Prism v4 – I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve added and deleted certain library references! Whilst I very much appreciate your framework – for example it does seem to simplify things – I’m a bit nervous about employing it as it doesn’t quite have the ‘support’ that Prism has. SL generally has been love hate relationship. If I’d been able to do everything out of the box with Jounce then it probably would have been different.

For the moment I’ve persisted with Prism v4 and my existing application now has an IApplicationService bootstrapper (as recommended from one of your earlier posts) and it correctly sets up my rootvisual. My current roadblock, however, is in trying to get the regionmanager stuff to work though – unlike your implementation it looks as though the Prism version requires a great deal more heavy lifting before it can be made use of.

Thanks for your help and advice to date though

Kind regards

Stuart

Sent: 29 November 2010 13:04
To: Stuart Barrett
Subject: Re: WebContext [Jounce:235169]

How's this going for you? Still running into roadblocks?

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Jounce@discussions.codeplex.com@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Jounce@discussions.codeplex.com@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Coordinator
Nov 29, 2010 at 12:32 PM

No worries, thanks for the response. As I mentioned, this framework is intended as guidance to help understand the implications of MVVM + MEF with Silvelright. PRISM is absolutely a more robust, evolved, rich framework with a lot more support and absolutely if it makes sense and you are using the features, I'd say "go for it." Not trying to compete with Prism, but provide a different avenue to simplify things for applications that don't need it and are specific to using MEF ... when you are using other DI frameworks or require a lot more complex features, then that is definitely the way to go as I'm keeping Jounce lightweight on purpose as a guidance/learning tool.