This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Business application template converted

Oct 15, 2010 at 1:00 AM

The samples provided thus far have been great at showing how pieces of the framework work but it would be great if a complete example could be shown that mimics the base functionality of the silverlight business application sample but uses the Jounce framework instead and adds some basic CRUD functionality of entities defined via EF and exposed via wcf ria service back to a ViewModel/View. 

If anyone else is interested in something like this, respond to this thread and maybe Jeremy would put a sample like this together for the community.

Coordinator
Oct 15, 2010 at 1:35 AM

Great that you mentioned this - appreciate the suggestion. I am working immediately on an example that uses the entity template for CRUD, that will be a small sample. In the bigger picture I am developing a small Scrum management application that should demonstrate virtually all of the items together, but that of course will also take a bit longer as I have a very full "full-time" development schedule as well. Stay tuned and thanks for your patience!

Oct 15, 2010 at 11:49 AM

That Scrum management problem sounds great, I will keep a look out for it on here and/or in your blog!!

Oct 22, 2010 at 9:19 PM

Just started looking at this framework, I am also just learning MEF.  Couple of things that come to mind,  what is the best way to handle different authentication scenarios, window's auth vs. from auth?  Also where is the best place to handle bootstrap parameters passed in on the uri?

Coordinator
Oct 22, 2010 at 9:48 PM

I intentionally left out authentication concerns because they vary wildly and even when you see the schema in RIA it is really using services to interact with the server side, so it is an implementation detail and not an intrinsic part of what I would consider the Silverlight clientside framework (RIA can do it because it addresses both the server and client side).

As for boot strap parameters, this is what I typically do - and again, because parameters vary wildly, I like to leave that as an implementation detail instead of embedding it in the framework:

1. Create IConfiguration interface that defines parameters (ParameterA, ParameterB, etc)

2. Create Configuration implementation for this and [Export(typeof(IConfiguration))]

3. Create ConfigurationService : IApplicationService. This will be set in the App.xaml similar to the Jounce ApplicationService. In the Start method, you would call CompositionInitializer.SatisfyImports(this) and also [Import]IConfiguration. From there, you can parse out the init parameter values (this is passed in as a context to the IApplicationService method) and load them to the Configuration, doing any data parsing/shaping needed (casting to integer, Uri, etc)

4. Anywhere you need to reference the parameters, now you can simply import IConfiguration and reference the field as needed.

Hope that helps!

Oct 25, 2010 at 3:38 PM

Thank you!

Kevin Happe | Architect, ONESOURCE Income Tax Technology |Thomson Reuters | O 972-250-7537 M 214-914-0616 | thomsonreuters.com

My code doesn't have bugs, it just develops random features.

Sent: Friday, October 22, 2010 4:49 PM
To: Happe, Kevin (TA WSS)
Subject: Re: Business application template converted [Jounce:230984]

I intentionally left out authentication concerns because they vary wildly and even when you see the schema in RIA it is really using services to interact with the server side, so it is an implementation detail and not an intrinsic part of what I would consider the Silverlight clientside framework (RIA can do it because it addresses both the server and client side).

As for boot strap parameters, this is what I typically do - and again, because parameters vary wildly, I like to leave that as an implementation detail instead of embedding it in the framework:

1. Create IConfiguration interface that defines parameters (ParameterA, ParameterB, etc)

2. Create Configuration implementation for this and [Export(typeof(IConfiguration))]

3. Create ConfigurationService : IApplicationService. This will be set in the App.xaml similar to the Jounce ApplicationService. In the Start method, you would call CompositionInitializer.SatisfyImports(this) and also [Import]IConfiguration. From there, you can parse out the init parameter values (this is passed in as a context to the IApplicationService method) and load them to the Configuration, doing any data parsing/shaping needed (casting to integer, Uri, etc)

4. Anywhere you need to reference the parameters, now you can simply import IConfiguration and reference the field as needed.

Hope that helps!

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (Jounce@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email Jounce@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Oct 27, 2010 at 3:16 PM
dsoltesz wrote:

The samples provided thus far have been great at showing how pieces of the framework work but it would be great if a complete example could be shown that mimics the base functionality of the silverlight business application sample but uses the Jounce framework instead and adds some basic CRUD functionality of entities defined via EF and exposed via wcf ria service back to a ViewModel/View. 

If anyone else is interested in something like this, respond to this thread and maybe Jeremy would put a sample like this together for the community.

This is great, adding Entity framework will greately appreciated.

Coordinator
Oct 27, 2010 at 4:07 PM

Sounds great. Can you add these as items under the Feature Tracker so they can be voted for the upcoming release? Thanks!

Oct 28, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Jeremy: Thanks!!!!!!! .  I moved this to Feature Tracker.