Modular Navigation

Feb 19, 2012 at 5:03 AM
Edited Feb 19, 2012 at 11:11 AM

I have been developing a business application in silverlight that uses silverlight navigation framework, and some page controls has it own Frame control for inner navigation. As application gets bigger i want to refactor each inner navigation parts to its own module. I had used my own simple mvvm framework, but modular development needed a better framework and Jounce fits my needs well.

I want to know if it is possible to have each module have its own navigation with region, and navigation menu defined in their main views, and a main module with Shell view having top level navigation region and menu to navigate between modues' main views. This will help team development in that different module developers design their module navigation in their modules and only module main view containing navigation regions will be exported to main module Shell top level navigation region.

Coordinator
Feb 19, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Yes, entirely possible - part of the entire thrust behind the region framework. You can create a master shell to host everything and then have each module register to this shell and provide the internal navigation to the module.

Feb 19, 2012 at 12:09 PM
Edited Feb 19, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Thank you for your reply. I hope you can add such an applicaion in QuickStarts. I am looking forward to your new book Designing Silverlight Business Applications. I am decided to choose Jounce as my framework, that is exactly what i was looking for, easy to use, powerful (powered by mef) and light weight.