Jounce 2.0

Coordinator
Sep 10, 2011 at 4:50 PM

For those interested, I am currently working on the 2.0 version that will be released first as a 1.9 beta that runs against Silverlight 5 RC (will bug fix and release 2.0 in conjunction with the Silverlight 5.0 RTM). You can see the work in progress by downloading the latest source.

I've addressed several tickets for the new version - because the full source is available I likely won't address the previous version unless it is for some reason an emergency that you cannot patch it yourself.

There are still lots of tests to be built and scenarios. In addition to the existing tickets, I'm interested in feedback for any other features.

I'm looking at putting in a custom type builder to facilitate the dynamic types you can now create using ICustomTypeProvider but still interested in the dynamic proxy-based entities I had discussed in a previous post using IL Emit. What are your thoughts?

I've added a custom markup extension for spinning view models out, are there any others you feel warrant inclusion in the core framework?

If you have ideas let's discuss them here but ones that are important please post to the Issue Tracker so we can get votes.

Also, if you haven't heard, I'm writing a book about building Silverlight line of business applications in which Jounce features prominently. The announcement on my blog is here:

http://csharperimage.jeremylikness.com/2011/09/silverlight-enterprise-application.html

You can join the Rough Cuts program for early feedback. As a result I will be updating Jounce based on the projects/chapters in the book and should be able to build some examples that have been requested of using Entity Framework both with RIA services and without.

Thanks for all of your support - I appreciate it and Jounce is very much where it is today due to your valuable support and feedback.

Sep 29, 2011 at 9:42 PM
Edited Sep 29, 2011 at 9:43 PM

Jeremy,

Super excited by the future 2.0 release. Any plans to implement an offline catalog such as the one you describe here? http://www.wintellect.com/CS/blogs/jlikness/archive/2010/05/25/silverlight-out-of-browser-dynamic-modules-in-offline-mode.aspx. Anything that makes the offline scenario easier is a plus in my book.

Thanks,

Garry

P.S. Got my book pre-ordered, but got an email saying the date has been pushed back to March 30 2012 - April 04 2012. Quit playing with my emotions Jeremy! :)

Coordinator
Sep 29, 2011 at 10:46 PM

I will look into automating that, it's a great idea, thanks.

I was told by my publisher to ignore the dates posted/emailed by Amazon - internally our date hasn't change, apparently they use some algorithm to stay conservative with pre-order books and will correct back to the right date when it's closer to print.