This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Just Brilliant

Mar 30, 2011 at 11:30 PM

Jeremy.

Thanks (publically) for your tireless work on Jounce. I started using it on Monday and have now nearly refactored a SL app that has been a year in the making!

Looking forward to using it on the next one!

Steve

Coordinator
Mar 31, 2011 at 2:45 AM

Hi, you're very welcome! I appreciate the feedback.

Apr 1, 2011 at 1:05 AM

Jeremy. Just wondering about your thoughts on this usage scenario:

Part of a windowing application we have built (over several versions of silverlight - originally built in Flex 2!) has a simulated taskbar and start menu; well known ui patterns- MS and Apple have already spent lots on this type of user UX testing :)

Would you put these 'controls' in separate assemblies as well and use Jounce to re-assemble? [Moreover, the idea of creating a pluggable interface design via xap - WCF RIA pulls it together]

All UI resources are separate as well, I'm a big fan of as much abstraction as possible, particularly on look and supplemental function via MergedDictionaries.

Many thanks

Steve

Coordinator
Apr 4, 2011 at 11:15 AM

I don't abstract just for the sake of it, meanin I wouldn't necessarily think those controls have to be in separate assemblies. If you are using well-defined namespaces, that should be fine - Jounce can assemble them, and if the modules get too large, it is very easy to refactor them into a separate module and add a route to dynamically load the XAP. I don't like pre-emptively creating XAPs just because there often isn't a need if the application footprint isn't too large and it is straightforward to refactor when needed.